5.10.2009

More Moments

Yesterday was graduation - Woo Hoo! It was a wonderful day... the ceremony started at 8:30 in the AM... and when, months ago, I learned it was that early in the morning I said to J, "Wow... why so dog gone early?" and he said to me, "Um mom, it's Myrtle Beach. In May." Ok, ok, 'nough said. The ceremony lasted about 2 1/2 hours and by the time it was winding down the stadium was heating up. 831 people walked and J was toward the end, receiving a computer science degree... so we patiently waited. I'll be honest, I did tear up a time or two... but I got myself under control quickly and didn't do any major boohooing. Yeah me! We all spent a lovely weekend together - definitely a treasure trove of wonderful little moments, moments to ponder in my heart.

During the ceremony I was remembering J... all the years that led up to his walking across that stage and receiving his degree. When he was little, just beginning to talk in sentences (although he did do that early) we had a ritual every time I would strap him into his car seat. I would get him in the seat, fasten all the little locks and stop, my face next to his face and I would kiss him and say, "J, you're so cute." He would take his soft little baby/toddler hands and place them on either side of my face, our noses touching, and he'd say, "Momma, er so coooot." Then I would kiss him again and smile, and he would smile back. And when I close my eyes today I can see him again - sparkling blue eyes, red hair, chubby cheeks... so beautiful and precious and happy.

And now, added to that memory, and all the others over the years, is the picture of him during the ceremony, smiling, smiling, smiling... happy, self confident, proud. God entrusted me with his care, giving me the responsibility to raise him to be who he has become. He's kind, loving, loyal, respectful, funny and smart. I'm so humbled to have such a wonderful creature in my life - thankful for the opportunity I've had to be his momma. Gosh, what a wonderful Mother's Day gift!

No comments: