6.20.2010

The Proposal


My son is now an engaged man. He proposed to Holly on Saturday night in front of all of us at her birthday party. There were many tears and hugs. It was a wonderfully sweet moment and I continue to be amazed at the many ways Joshua's mind works. He can be so romantic and thoughtful. Holly had opened all her gifts and he walked over to her and asked, "What did you wish for when you blew out your candles?" And, after a moment of hesitation and confusion, she said, "That you'd ask me to marry you." He then said, "Well, I have a question to ask you then." And he pulled out the ring and got down on one knee and asked her. She was completely surprised, as is evident in the picture. I am incredibly happy for them - I hope they can hold onto the memory of this moment. It will sustain them in the future as they face the many challenges that lie ahead. It makes me think too, how often in this life does someone get to make a wish when blowing out birthday candles - and have the wish so completely come true.

I'm feeling many things right now... to expound on them at the moment, however, isn't what I need to do. I will save that all for later. For now, right now, it's time to just be grateful for the moment, and the fullness in my heart. My son is man, such a good man, and I could not be more proud of who he is. Someone made a comment when seeing this picture that he looks so happy - and he does. He so very much does.

No comments: