7.14.2012

Resistance is Futile

I don't particularly like change.  I don't think that's much of a secret around this here ball.  I've talked about it before I do believe.  It's not always big things that get me though - sometimes it's the small stuff - the little inconsequential stuff that can actually make life more pleasant, more enjoyable.  Technology is something that gets me sometimes.  Take for instance my newish computer.  My old one displayed the black screen of death one evening so I had to get a new one... I really didn't want to spend the money and I really didn't want the change.  I got a new laptop - plenty of what I needed since the son went with me and helped me pick it out.  The thing was though, aside from spending the money I  really didn't want the different look and feel of the new computer.  Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm getting used to it.  It's been two months and I'm still getting used to it, sigh.

The latest stuff was the cell phone.  I get a phone and I like it and then something happens and I need a new one.  Yeah, I'm not their favorite customer I don't think because I hold onto a phone for as long as possible.  But a week ago I went with the son and the daughter in law and we broke the phones out.  Son and his wife went on about their business and my last financial tie to him was severed.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to not be paying that anymore for him - I didn't really have to be - but it was helpful for him as they got started and well, in a goofy sorta way I was still taking care of him.  Now they're on their own and my service is a tad bit different and now cheaper.  Cable television has been the latest new frontier - I have had just regular cable, nothing fancy schamncy.  A month or so ago the cable company took about nine channels away from me - they went to digital - and I didn't have digital.  The cable company kept asking me if I wanted it and I kept resisting.  I didn't want a box, I didn't want to have to pay any extra (so I thought) and I didn't want the look of television to change for me.  I know there are lots of really exciting things out there involving television but I'm old school, yo... that's just how I roll.  But when I lost those nine channels and I couldn't watch VH1 in the mornings anymore I figured I needed to just put my big girl panties on and get the blankety blank blank boxes - so I did. 

I hooked them up yesterday and called like instructed and one of the two boxes wouldn't work.  I set up an appointment to have the one box looked and and the little tech guy came out today.  He was running late and it was after seven before he got here.  My cable line, which is about twenty years old, is - well - too old now so he ran another line.  He said these days they don't actually use the old cable line we had.  So now we have nice new cables and we have fancy schmancy programming with fancy shmancy channels and boxes and remotes.  It's scary - and there are too many choices but it's interesting.  We also have faster Internet speed.  Huh.  Who'da thunk it?  And the cost is about the same - or so they say. 

So I'd been resisting for awhile now - all this new modern stuff - smart phones (still don't have one of those but seems it may be coming for the future), digital cable, faster Internet.  I've got to get used to it all but I suppose there are worse things in life, huh? 

No comments: