8.28.2010

The Birthday Party

For Rebecca's 15th birthday we cooked out at my folk's house. Mom did the burgers and I took care of the rest... potato salad, slaw, baked beans, cake, ice cream... ya' know, the typical.

I bought a birthday sash to have her wear and I knew if I asked her to put it on she wouldn't do it. My dad, on the other hand, can ask her to do almost anything and she acquiesces. I said, "Hey, dad, how 'bout get her to put this on, she'll do it if you ask." So he takes it, smiles like I've given him the best job in the world to do, and walks over to her. She's all giggles and happily lets him drape her in it... she wore it the whole day. I knew she would, Pappy asked her to. Last year I got a paper crown for her to wear - she fought me on it until she saw her new cell phone. Go figure. Either way, all in all she had a great birthday. She got the things she wanted and a few she didn't know she wanted.

She's 15 now and all the fun begins... I told her I wouldn't take her to attempt the test for her drivers permit until she read the book, which she's not done yet. But tonight I did let her drive the back road to the house once we were almost home. She didn't do too badly... she needs to get comfortable with the brake and the steering wheel though. But the actual driving on the right side of the road and not running into ditches went rather well. We've at least got something to work with here.

No comments: