12.23.2008

Merry Christmas One and All

But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.
Luke 2:19

I've written about this verse before - and of course it's that time of year when that verse is often quoted... I was reminded of it again this weekend during our New York trip. Watching my daughter experience her first plane ride... watching her awe of the city... watching her marvel over the Lion King and the Rockettes... watching her face light up when the snow started falling on her as we walked the streets... it all gave me things to treasure and ponder in my heart.

The trip started out miserably - we missed our flight... we were there for the flight, all be it a little later than I would have normally been there... the fog was horrible that morning and made driving slower.... but we were there in time. We got shuffled into a line that was supposed to speed us along but what ended up happening is the line stalled... just stopped, and we ended up standing there - with three other of our traveling companions for 25 minutes - we were 4th in line. The other lines kept moving but we didn't - and then before we knew it we had missed the 30 minute window... and were told we couldn't continue to our flight, in essence we were screwed - we then spent the next few hours trying to get some help form the airline to get us on another flight. The weather got bad and they began limiting how many people they would put on a flight. We finally boarded a plane at 8:30... sat on the runway for another hour and then arrived in NY at 11:30. Oh... and we had no luggage the whole weekend. So it was eventful to say the least. We managed it though... and in truth did very well - daughter did very well. She had one tiny little meltdown and cried a little but she composed herself and kept moving. We met some really nice folks while there and while some of the airline workers were rude and incompetent we met some other wonderful people willing to help us and make it work. It was definitely an experience and I think it taught both her and me that we can do most anything.

So tomorrow is Christmas Eve... I have a few more gifts to wrap... all my baking is done... and perhaps I'll get some nice, restful sleep before tomorrow morning. We will eat a nice prime rib dinner with my parents and my brother and his family - watch the kids open gifts, laugh a little and enjoy the day. If time allows the kids and I may go to Christmas Eve service and then home for the evening. I'm not doing the whole "Santa" thing this year. Neither of the kids really is excited about it - they have gifts, all wrapped and under the tree and then I'll have there stockings as their big surprises. The NYC trip was really daughter's big gift this year... and she's fine with that. Christmas morning we'll go over to the (ex) in laws for a brunch.

I hope all my lovely, loyal readers and friends have a wonderful holiday! I am truly blessed to have some great people in my life...

1 comment:

Robot Dancers said...

Have a wonderful Xmas dollface!!