3.21.2010

Hidden Rooms/Big Dreams

Ok - I had some mistakes... which I fixed - so much for not running spellcheck before hitting the publish button!

Lately I've noticed one dream popping up in my sleep. It's not an every night kind of dream but it's happened on more than one occasion and I've always thought it sorta odd. I looked it up tonight to see if there is any interpretation of this dream and wow - I found out it's sorta a common theme in dreams... I never knew! So much for thinking I'm unique - LOL!

The dream usually revolves around me finding a room in my house - a room I didn't know existed. Sometimes it's a bathroom I didn't know was there or a huge closet, other times it's a master bedroom suite. It's always a huge surprise and it always gets discovered when I just don't think we'll ever have enough room. I've read dreams like this can mean something about discovering hidden aspects of your personality or maybe an expansion or some sort in your waking life. That sounds logical, considering all the work that's been going on around here the last few years.

And funny - I'm watching Dreamgirls on television right now. I've never seen it before - yes, I've been living under a rock. It strikes me, while watching this, how easily, how quickly, a pure idea, goal, aspiration, can become twisted and changed into something else. People get stepped on and used. People get tossed aside. It happens all the time, every day, on a less grander scale - it happens. What becomes of the people left behind? Your dreams have been stolen, you don't fit into the plan anymore - what do you do?

I suppose you make a new dream... it's hard to do though because so much has been invested in the old dream and I think a lot of energy ends up being put into trying to redefine the dream - make it fit the new dynamic. I'm not sure it works that way - or maybe it does. I've not figured that part out yet. It's not been my experience though. I had a dream of love and marriage - a dream of sharing and growing old together, a dream of a family. I've done well redefining the family - it doesn't feel like something is missing anymore when we sit at the dinner table or make plans. The kids and I are a cohesive family unit, whole and complete just the way we are. It's not what I had envisioned the family to be but it is a family all the same. This isn't the career I envisioned but I'm much happier than I was doing my other job. And love, well, I'm sorry but I'm not sure it really truly exists. Two out of three ain't bad though, huh? Or at least that's what I've heard.

No comments: