3.07.2010

The New Additions

It's exciting times here at the ball!

Two weeks ago I took another step into the uncharted wilderness of single living and the kids and I took a drive up to Lowes in the next town up (because we don't have one here in the sticks) and looked at washers and dryers. I had a two in one sorta combination in the corner of the kitchen the ex and I had purchased many years ago - before Rebecca was born - and it had become quite a pain in my ass in recent months. The dryer had gone over to the dark side and had decided to make our lives difficult in the only way it could. It was taking forever to dry things, it was attacking our clothes and leaving little discolored marks on them and it was biting certain items and leaving little slits or holes. The items it seemed to take most delight in harming were any kind of t-shirt and mine and Rebecca's panties. We stopped putting anything in the dryer except blue jeans and towels and like I said, it was taking forever to get them dry. I couldn't put the purchase off any longer. And besides, since the washer and dryer were the two in one variety I sorta needed a new washer too. I had my heart set on a front loading washer, one that uses significantly less water, and so off we went...

I ended up buying a set, and I had planned on paying for them with tax return money (since I'm a poor woman on paper at least one last year) but I hadn't taken the taxes yet and I didn't really have the money in hand (I could have used savings I suppose...). I said screw it, I'd finance the suckers and just pay it off when I did get my return. I explained to the little fella in the appliance section what I wanted to do so he explained to me how to apply for credit and gave me the stuff to fill out. As he was ringing up the washer and dryer and setting my delivery date he said -oh, you're pre-approved. So, ok... not as hard as I thought it was going to be!

Yesterday was D-Day - Delivery Day - and the two nice delivery fellas brought them and hauled away the demon and now I have two 21st century beauties sitting in my kitchen. The fellas hooked the washer up but after I ran the first load and the clothes came out sorta steamy I remembered that for some reason our hot and cold water faucets are switched (this house is nuts) so Joshua switched the hoses for me. Then we needed a new vent thing - the old one we had was a fire hazard because it was the plastic variety - so we went out to get that (and eat dinner and see a movie) and when we got back we realized we are missing one of the clamps for the vent so I ran to The Walmart at 9 pm. But now, beautifully, they are both up and running and I've washed and dried two loads of clothes and I plan on doing many more today! We're sorta behind on laundry in the house these days... hmmm... I wonder why?

Part of me was a little nervous and unsure about making such a major purchase alone - but I did it and I'm not stupid and I am capable of being a comparison shopper. I knew what I wanted, I had an idea of what I wanted to spend, and I asked questions. I'm actually much better at this sort of thing than my ex is/was, so I'm not sure why I was apprehensive about doing it. It's felt so great - having the new additions in the house. It's amazing how smoothly laundry can go when the washer and dryer actually work! Today Joshua christened them like he does everything - he's named them Loretta and Franklin (and please don't shorten Franklin's name to Frank, he doesn't like that). Is it pathetic that I get so giddy at the silliest things? Oh hell, who cares! I have a fantastic new washer and dryer and my life is simplier because of it - that's reason to celebrate in my book.

No comments: