8.30.2009

Potpourri

Yesterday daughter and I had our nails and toes "did" at the spa... it was a nice little excursion. I've taken to doing this for myself once a month and I took her yesterday as a belated birthday celebration. It never hurts to have your cuticles cleaned up and nails buffed... and it's good for your feet to have any roughness removed. I've read it's not good for a dancer's feet to have pedicures too often - it removes a lot of the callouses a dancer needs... so we discussed this with our spa lady and we came up with a plan to work on parts of her feet but leave the rougher parts near her toes alone... we don't want her to be in pain as she starts back wearing pointe shoes this week. It's a nice indulgence to do for myself. I'm glad I've thrown caution to the wind and continue to make the monthly appointment. It's nice to be typing with nicely French manicured nails :-)

We then hopped over to the Wal-mart store and stocked up on supplies. We needed toilet paper and dog food and laundry detergent. I also bought some new dryer sheets... they are made by Downy and called Simple Pleasures. I bought the Almond Creme Bliss scent and I've got to tell you I'm very impressed. They leave clothes smelling great and the scent lasts. They also soften the clothes better than other sheets I've purchased. I've always liked Downy liquid and I use it often for bed sheets but I don' t typically used the liquid for clothes. These dryer sheets are a little more expensive than most others but definitely worth the extra cost.

The Hallmark channel has been playing The Five People You Meet in Heaven today. I read the book years ago - we were on vacation at the beach that summer, a few years before ex left - and I remember crying and crying when I got to the end. It really got to me. The movie has the same effect as the book and I can't watch it without boohooing throughout the whole thing. The whole concept is that when we die we are greeted by five people, one at a time. We don't necessarily know each of these folks... but our lives and their lives have all touched at some point, in some way. These folks tell us the story of our lives and in doing so relay the meaning that may have alluded us during our time alive. The main character learns about connection, sacrifice, forgiveness, and love... nothing is an accident, all lives have meaning, love endures. It's truly a wonderful idea, an uplifting thought... but I think ya have to be open to it for it to have an impact... and at times I am open and at others, eh, not so much... but regardless of my state of mind at the time, it always makes me cry.

This is going to be a hellacious week. Lots of running to do, and it's a court week... which means on Thursday we have family court and it just so happens that two of the case on the docket are mine. So in addition to helping others with their reports I have two of my own to write. One may not be heard that day, although I am going to advocate that it is... it's a permanency planning hearing and the mother wants to continue it because she wants more time to work her treatment plan. But she's had a year, and the oldest of the children (at 8) knows this has been drug on too long - he wants it done, one way or the other. My other case is in its early stages and I pray the mother follows through on her promises to work a treatment plan... she's her kids only hope.

I also have therapy this week - Thursday wouldn't you know... and last time the therapist and I talked about a mirade of different things. It was interesting too - we were discussing Borderline Personality Disorder and I told her I had read about it a few years ago while I was trying to educate myself on possible different reasons for the ex's behavior but that I dismissed it because it didn't all fit... and she said not to be so quick to dismiss it - that yes, while not all the criteria fit the ones that did fit were strong... she said she and the psychiatrist had talked about it as a possible diagnosis... so hmm.... I've been mulling it all over in my head... definitely something to think about more.

And now... it's Sunday night - the sun has set... it's dark, and a good time to crawl in the bed... a good time to open a book and settle in for the night. I've been remembering my dreams a lot lately - some have been more vivid than others but still I'm left with enough to ponder. The other morning I was dreaming I was pregnant and then in the next instance dreaming I was sitting on a blanket outside with someone... talking, making plans and in the next instance I was waking in my dream with that same someone lying beside me. It was all strangely comforting and yet confusing at the same time. Ahhhh, to sleep, perchance to dream... gotta love Shakespeare.

No comments: