3.31.2009

Expensive


I may need to start pimping myself out just to afford all these dance costumes...

It's pretty though, huh?

Friday is picture day - that's the day that every girl puts on every costume for every dance she may be dancing in and has group and individual shots done - it's a wild and crazy event but one of the few times these costumes actually get worn - they won't be worn again until recital at the end of May... daughter will wear most of her costumes twice that day because she typically dances in both recitals. So... it's hectic (have I made that point already?) and my darlin' daughter who isn't typically a bitchy diva (only a garden variety diva) has the potential of being one on this day - and to be honest with y'all... I'm not above a bribe to get her to be pleasant and photogenic... so... what did I do? I offered a bribe - that's what! Uh, duh.

I see it this way - I spend a lot of money on these costumes. Some I am more partial to than others and the one to the right in the picture is my favorite this year. For the most part, I am quite pleased with the costume selection for this season - last year there was this one costume that, well, made her look like a hooker (perhaps I should borrow that if the pimping thing pans out...). The costume fit the song and it looked really cute on the other girls but the other girls are younger and not so... um... developed yet so... she, ummm, looked like a hooker. There is one this year could go either way - could be a high class hooker... lol... but I think it will be ok. The theme this year is Broadway and she's tapping to Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend in the costume in question... but like I said I think it will be ok... she'll just look, um... older.

So anyway... the bribe. Monday the photographer took dance company pictures and daughter was sorta doing the bitchy diva thing... and me, well I wasn't enjoying that...not in the least bit. I don't typically order the company pictures because we go to competition and I take pictures and sometimes, if I get lucky, the competition photographer gets some great action shots. Friday is the BIG picture day... with all the fancy, shmancy costumes and so I said, "Darlin' Daughter, I spend a lot of money on these costumes ya know." And she said, "Yeah mom, I know... and I appreciate it." And I said, "Yes sweetie, I know you do... so on picture day I'd like some really good pictures of you in some of them." She said, "I'll try." I said, "Is there anything I can do to um... sweeten the deal for you?" And she turned her head to me ever so slowly and with a sly smile said, "Mom, are you trying to bribe me?" And I said, "Yes. Yes I am." So we both had a good laugh because if you knew us well then you would know that bribery isn't something we typically resort to in this house... and then she burst my bubble because she said, "There really isn't anything I can think of that I want...."

Damn.

So tonight she was watching Phantom of the Opera on You Tube and made a comment about how she'd like to have the soundtrack... you see the fancy costume in the picture is for Masquerade danced "en pointe" ... so I looked on Amazon and found a good deal on the soundtrack and the movie and low and behold... I had my bribe!

WooHoo!

But in truth I don't think it's a bribe... in truth it's just a way to treat her to something - she works hard, she's a great kid, and I love her... that's reason enough :-)

No comments: