12.12.2009

Christmas Movies

This afternoon Rebecca and I went to see the Rockettes with my ex in laws. It was wonderful to see the show again! I love it, one of my most favorite things to do! The lights and music and costumes and, of course, the dancing - it can't be beat. And on top of all of it, you get the Christmas Story. Afterwards we went to eat at a very interesting Persian restaurant with the most yummy food. I had a great glass (well two glasses) of wine - a fantastic Beaujolais - the absolute best wine I have ever had. Dessert was so good - a banana cake topped with pralines.

It's a Wonderful Life is on NBC and I'm watching... it's one of my favorites. I used to have this silly little idea that perhaps, one day, the ex would have a George Bailey epiphany and realize everything he could ever want was right here in this house... but, alas, it didn't work out that way. I have a little brass ornament on my tree, a tiny angel with a itty bitty jingle bell hanging from it - it came with a little slip of paper that said, "Every time a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings." My mom gave it to me one Christmas, tucked into my stocking - I always hang it in a prominent place on my tree.

I like to watch Scrooged - it makes me laugh pretty hard (especially when he tells the guy to staple the little antlers to the mice). It's a a crazy off beat take on A Christmas Carol, modernized and jazzed up for the 80's. Of course, there are so many versions of A Christmas Carol - a truly brilliant piece of literature. I had never read it, I'm ashamed to admit, and a few years ago I decided I would and I did. It's amazing how relevant it remains today although it was written in 1843. And, if you've never seen The Bishop's Wife I highly recommend it. It's not a movie someone would typically point to as a film of the season but it is... subtle and sweet - and it has Cary Grant - what's not to like? And then, I can't forget A Christmas Story - "You'll shoot yer eye out kid." Oh my... perfect, perfect, perfect!

So... I will finish going over my Sunday School lesson and turn out the lights and get some sleep... night y'all.

No comments: