12.07.2009

OK

It's been a long day... but then again what days don't seem like they're long? It's cold, but hey, it's December... lol... whine, whine, whine. I'm wondering why the heck I set this little goal for myself - not like I have to follow it through - but I want to follow it through... just hoping I can pull something out of my hiney to write about!

The Wedding Planner is on - I love this movie, even if it makes me a tad bit sad and wistful. One of my favorite scenes in the movie happens when Mary, the wedding planner, is having a Kraft Mac and Cheese dinner with Massimo, the Italian friend, and they have this exchange:

MASSIMO: You look like u have much on your mind. Please, do tell me. MARY: Well, there's nothing to tell. I thought I could control everything and I can't, I met someone who I thought was..well he's not. (sigh) Did you ever like someone but the timing was off? Way off?? You feel things, you should not be feeling? I'm not making any sense. MASSIMO: You make much sense. You long for him, the way I long for you. MARY: Massimo, I don't want you to think..MASSIMO: no, no.. You need to learn the patience. I mean, love can't always be perfect, love is, just love. MARY: My mother used to say that. MASSIMO: well your mother was a very wise woman.

Of course in the movie, just to make it interesting, the timing is off for Mary and Steve. Steve's getting ready to marry someone else when he meets Mary and she's drawn to him, and he to her and there is no explanation for it - no reason other than they just are and yet everything in the universe says it shouldn't be happening. There is a quiet resignation to them both as they go through with the plans they've each laid out for their lives. They're doing what they should do... anything else, any other outcome, seems improbable. There is no anger, no ill will, just an acknowledged sadness. But of course, this is the movies and, well, alls well that ends well - it all gets resolved and Mary and Steve find each other, finally face the reality of the lives they were living and make changes in an effort to live the lives they long to live. Ahhh, the magic of Hollywood.

What happens when that's real life? Two people meet, see something in one another they just can't explain - something they don't want to explain - it just is what it is and that's perfectly ok. But the timing is off, and the reality is the timing will probably always be off... so what do they do? I guess they go on about their lives in quiet resignation, always mindful of the possibility left behind. Sad huh? But it's ok... right? I mean, it has to be... no other choice. Love is just love - and it's not always perfect, if it is ever perfect - but patience, now patience has no impact on any of it. There is nothing to wait for - the reality is nothing is likley to change - after all, this isn't the movies.

It's nice, though, sometimes, just sometimes, to think about how it would actually end if it were Hollywood...

STEVE: Why you only eating the brown ones? MARY: Because someone once said they have less artificial colouring because chocolate's already brown. And it kind of stayed with me. STEVE: You kind of stayed with me.

No comments: