12.02.2009

I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T

It's December 2nd and I had this crazy idea I wanted to try and publish a blog entry a day in the last month of this year... I'm not sure how well I'm going to do with that. Sometimes I have lots on my mind and sometimes I feel pretty dim - and it's probably a real reach to expect myself to be up for publishing something everyday - but we'll see...

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is supposed to be on tonight. I remember always watching the Christmas shows when I was little - it was such a huge deal. But then of course we didn't have DVD players and we couldn't watch a show whenever the mood struck us. These days it's not such a big deal, catching it all on television, but I still remember and so whenever it occurs to me a show is on I try to watch. One of my favorites was Nester the Long Eared Donkey... always always always made me cry. It's rarely on anymore - I have watched it a few times in years past -Rebecca's seen it and she actually said to me the other day while discussing Christmas cartoons, "Mom, you know what's my favorite? Nester...." Imagine that!?!

Tonight though is Rudolph, narrated by Sam the Snowman - such a celebration of individuality and nonconformity. It's so sad how unhappy Hermey and Rudolph are because they can't be themselves... because they don't feel like they fit in. They each, independently, decide to set out because they figure being alone is the only way to go. Along the way they find the Island of Misfit Toys and discover camaraderie and experience sacrifice and exhibit untold feats of bravery. They eventually realize that love and honesty and living an authentic life are the only ways to be happy. It's ok to be who you are, even if it's different. Yeah I know, I'm grasping... I gotta get out more.

It has a great line in it though - one that was quoted to me a few years back by someone with a wonderful sense of humor during a lightheartedly warm sweet moment. I've never forgotten it and I always think of him quite fondly when I hear it - Hermey says to Rudolph, "Hey, what do you say we both be independent together, huh?" While it's cute and kinda clever it's somehow a great way to describe friendship and love - be independent together. We are all gloriously unique with our own likes and dislikes, our own strengths and weaknesses - it's what makes life interesting. When independence can coexist with respect and kindness and love, well, gee... sounds like the makings of a pretty great relationship to me.

No comments: