12.23.2009

Fly in My Ointment

It's the eve before Christmas Eve and all is well. I have presents wrapped and I've made the peanut butter candies my mom asked me to make. They are from my grandmother's recipe and mom says she can't make them, but I'm not so sure I believe that. I have cookie dough in the fridge chilling and we'll attempt to make some sugar cookies to decorade in a little while. I will make the sweet potato casserole in the morning and I'm not sure when I'll do the mac and cheese for Friday... I've got to figure that one out. But all in all I've got it all under control.

I did have a moment earlier that sorta just hit me wrong. I called my mom to make sure we were all set for tomorrow. We had talked earlier in the month about the fact my brother is working until noon tomorrow and Joshua has to work until 3:30. We had said that dinner around 5 would work. So in talking to mom today she said my brother would be there around 2, and then she added - we can have everything ready and eat then. (Wait - whoa.... um... ) I reminded her that Joshua won't be there until 5 and she said - we'll make him a plate and he can eat when he gets here. No... no... that's not right. I asked if we couldn't just eat at 5 like we'd discussed earlier and she said yeah she guessed so although she didn't seem to be too happy about it. I'll be honest - I don't get it.

This is Joshua's Christmas just as much as it's anyone elses. He shouldn't be excluded from any part of it. Mom may not have meant it the way it came out but to me she seemed to place the priority on my brother's arrival and ignored the fact Joshua was working later. I'm not going to let it bother me... just thought I'd lay it out so I can let it go. Can you tell I wasn't the favorite? lol...

No comments: